Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Week 7: Fitting the Pieces Together

After learning in depth all of the learning styles, my opinion to how I learn best has changed. In the beginning of the course I claimed to be a cognitive learner.  After learning more about different theories I tend to lean more towards the Constructivist theory.  This theory is based off of the way that people learn by relating personal experiences to their learning.

When filling out our Learning Theory Matrix, we answered the questions of: 
1.)How does learning occur?
2.)What factors influence learning?
3.)What is the role of memory?
4.)How does transfer occur?
5.)What types of learning are best explained by this theory? 
6.) How is technology used for learning in your industry? 


When seeing of my responses to these questions, I found myself falling more in this theory of learning.  I like being actively engaged in my learning, whether it be through discussions, projects or creating slide shows or presentations.  To sit and write notes and then take a test on materials, I tend to "study for the test".  When all is said and done, I remember nothing of what I learned. I feel as though the material never makes it into my Long-Term Memory.  The cognitive approach relies a lot on problem solving and reasoning.  I do not see myself as a good problem solver or reasoner.  


The role that technology plays in my learning is that of my social networks, personal relationships, professional  relationships, media and there are many other outlets that assist me in my learning. All of these are resources and opinions that I can take into consideration. With enrolling into Walden, my eyes have been opened to all of the ways in which i utilize technology in my education. 


This class has really opened my eyes to how people learn and the materials that aid them to succeed.  As an educator I feel as though not only with this help me with my current position, but also as an instructional designer in the future.  








No comments:

Post a Comment